Airport’s police thwart human trafficking

by K.E. Frans on 2013-02-04

Officers with the Ngurah Rai International Airport’s special police precinct foiled on Saturday the departure of eight people, six of whom were allegedly victims of human trafficking.

The eight people, who were on their way to depart to Malaysia, consisted of six female migrant workers by the names of Katrina Kali Ghobi, Ade Erwin Kondo, Sofia Ambu Kaka, Mariana Ina Kaka, Yuliana Pogo, and Nuraini M Nor. The two others were believed to be an escort named Anita Laksono and a communicator named Aziz Suparto Mustafa. The latter two’s apparent roles were facilitating the travel of the six women and introducing them to their would-be employers on the other side of the border.

Officers, consisting of airport precinct personnel and East Nusa Tenggara Police’s criminal investigation directorate, stopped them just minutes before the flight departure time at gates number 17 and 18 of the domestic departure terminal of Ngurai Rai Airport in Tuban, Badung regency. The officers took them to the airport’s precinct office and quizzed them.

“They were caught before boarding the plane,” said Bali Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Hariadi, citing that the group planned to depart on Lion Air flight JT 0017 to Jakarta, which would continue to Batam by flight JT 0372.

The six women, aged between 20 to 28-years-old, had been promised employment as domestic workers in Malaysia. They originate from East and West Nusa Tenggara provinces.

The interception was triggered by a formal notification handed
over by the East Nusa Tenggara Police to the Bali Police, stating that they had strong suspicions regarding the legality and authenticity of the travel documents of a group of people planning to leave the island through Ngurah Rai Airport. The Bali Police forwarded the notification to the airport’s special police precinct and instructed the precinct’s officers to cooperate with the visiting officers from East Nusa Tenggara Police.

“It turned out that their travel documents, which were brought by the communicator, were not authentic,” said Hariadi.

After being grilled at the precinct office at the airport, the investigation of the case was officially handed over to the East Nusa Tenggara Police. The six workers and Anita were flown back to Kupang aboard Garuda Indonesia flight GA 438 at 11:10 p.m. on Sunday. They were accompanied by two officers from East Nusa Tenggara Police and an undisclosed number of officers from the airport’s precinct and Bali Police’s intelligence directorate.

Meanwhile, Aziz, a resident of Waikabupak, West Sumba, is still being detained at the precinct office in Ngurah Rai. He is likely to be investigated and charged in Bali for using illegal travel documents.

Choose an Edition